December 2006 Update from Dana
HELLO Family,
I just thought that I would update you a little on the trial. The sentencing hearing was last week and Brian received 18 years for Wayne's Death. The Judge was pretty forceful of his opinion that he had a hard time with the sentencing because the majority of the jurors wanted a guilty on the second degree murder charge and waivered with the heat of the moment and charged for manslaughter. the Judge said he was going to make the mandatory ten year sentence for discharging a weapon in Indian country and eight years for the manslaughter charge. He also has to pay a restitution to the state of $6,000. Also, Brian has 5 years of supervised release and parole, subject to searches, drug and alcohol counseling and mental evaluation to complete.
I think as a family we are glad that the court process is done, we have been in crisis mode for over a year and need time to heal. There have many differences of opinion and changes of heart, but no matter we have supported each other and tried to manage the best we could to get through. There is only a couple of weeks before we find out where he will serve his sentence. We miss our brother and there is absolutely nothing that could ease that pain of that horrible night, I think we are just finding comfort in the thought that Dad, Wayne, Cameron are together with all the other family we love and have lost. I will never forget the memories of them, Just getting used to them being gone. Thank you for your support that you have given us. The holidays are upon us and we all have been together. Eating, eating and
playing with the kiddies. We are learning Hand games. I'll have some
champion competitors in a couple years. Evan will have to practice up on his
singing skillz. We love you. Keep your families safe and Hope for a Happy
New Year. Keep in touch 701-743-4483
Dana Lea
I just thought that I would update you a little on the trial. The sentencing hearing was last week and Brian received 18 years for Wayne's Death. The Judge was pretty forceful of his opinion that he had a hard time with the sentencing because the majority of the jurors wanted a guilty on the second degree murder charge and waivered with the heat of the moment and charged for manslaughter. the Judge said he was going to make the mandatory ten year sentence for discharging a weapon in Indian country and eight years for the manslaughter charge. He also has to pay a restitution to the state of $6,000. Also, Brian has 5 years of supervised release and parole, subject to searches, drug and alcohol counseling and mental evaluation to complete.
I think as a family we are glad that the court process is done, we have been in crisis mode for over a year and need time to heal. There have many differences of opinion and changes of heart, but no matter we have supported each other and tried to manage the best we could to get through. There is only a couple of weeks before we find out where he will serve his sentence. We miss our brother and there is absolutely nothing that could ease that pain of that horrible night, I think we are just finding comfort in the thought that Dad, Wayne, Cameron are together with all the other family we love and have lost. I will never forget the memories of them, Just getting used to them being gone. Thank you for your support that you have given us. The holidays are upon us and we all have been together. Eating, eating and
playing with the kiddies. We are learning Hand games. I'll have some
champion competitors in a couple years. Evan will have to practice up on his
singing skillz. We love you. Keep your families safe and Hope for a Happy
New Year. Keep in touch 701-743-4483
Dana Lea
Comments